Community Lift Irrigation
The most critical component for revival of any project is mobilization of the community. Unless the community participates at every level of revival and takes the ownership, it is very difficult for successful implementation of revival strategies Thus; Participatory Irrigation Management (PIM) has got widespread recognition in revival process of irrigation schemes.
For effective monitoring and implementation of the revival process, ARPAN Seva Sansthan had placed in a strong Institutional Management system consisting of experienced managerial, technical, agriculture and social mobilization experts at all levels from central to operational level.
Arpan Seva Sansthan has conducted a situational analysis on the Community Lift Irrigation schemes which were earlier installed by DRDA or other agencies and found that utmost of lifts were deceased.
The design of lift is such that the whole command area divides into chacks & each chack covers 4-6 hectare area depending upon the topography. Each chack has one outlet. The command area of lift normally varies from 25 to 40 hectares. Cost benefit ratio comes to 1.5 to 2.5. Water Users Committee is strengthened and empowered by Social Mobilization efforts by organization so that they can manage their distribution system, Power Consumption, electricity bills and overall management.
- As an outcome of CLIS around 1280 households were benefited. It covered 1150 ha area irrigation facilities in Rabi and Zaid seasons.
- The cost of installation of lift has been recovered with the effective B.C. ratio of 1.5 – 2.50; within a period of three years.
- Arpan has provided the knowledge on improved agricultural practices, improved seed variety, vegetable cultivation, etc for extraction of maximum benefits from the crops.
- Migration has been controlled.
- Higher income generation led to development in better food habits and an increased number in school enrollment.
- After installation of lift an increase of 50%-150% in community income was seen.